IB Middle Years Program
| IB Middle Years Program (MYP) | IB Learner Profile | MYP Science | MYP Mathematics | MYP Physical and Health Education | MYP Design | MYP English Language and Literature | MYP Individuals and Societies | MYP English as an additional language (EAL) | MYP Serbian Language and literature | MYP Arts |
Design, and the resultant development of new technologies, has given rise to profound changes in society: transforming how we access and process information; how we adapt our environment; how we communicate with others; how we are able to solve problems; how we work and live.
Design is the link between innovation and creativity, taking thoughts and exploring the possibilities and constraints associated with products or systems, allowing them to redefine and manage the generation of further thought through prototyping, experimentation and adaptation. It is human-centred and focuses on the needs, wants and limitations of the end user.
MYP Design Guide (p 4)
Aims: As stated in the MYP Sciences guide, the aims of MYP Design are to encourage and enable students to:
- enjoy the design process and develop an appreciation of its elegance and power
- develop knowledge, understanding and skills from different disciplines to design and create solutions to problems using the design cycle
- use and apply technology effectively as a means to access, process and communicate information, model and create solutions and to solve problems
- develop an appreciation of the impact of design innovations for life, global society and environments
- appreciate past, present and emerging design within cultural, political, social, historical and environmental contexts
- develop respect for others’ viewpoints and appreciate alternative solutions to problems
- act with integrity and honesty, and take responsibility for their own actions developing effective working practices
Click on the links for information about curriculum and assessment for MYP Design by grade level.