IB Middle Years Programme
MYP English as an additional language (EAL)
| IB Middle Years Programme (MYP) | IB Learner Profile | MYP Science | MYP Mathematics | MYP Physical and Health Education | MYP Design | MYP English Language and Literature | MYP Individuals and Societies | MYP English as an additional language (EAL) | MYP Serbian Language and literature | MYP Arts |
The ability to communicate in a variety of modes in more than one language is essential to the concept of an international education that promotes multilingualism and intercultural understanding, both of which are central to the IB’s mission.
The study of additional languages in the MYP provides students with the opportunity to develop insights into the features, processes and craft of language and the concept of culture, and to realize that there are diverse ways of living, behaving and viewing the world.
MYP Language acquisition guide (p 4)
Aims: As stated in the MYP Language Acquisition guide, the aims of the teaching and learning of MYP language acquisition are for students to:
- gain proficiency in an additional language while supporting maintenance of their mother tongue and cultural heritage
- develop a respect for, and understanding of, diverse linguistic and cultural heritages
- develop the student’s communication skills necessary for further language learning, and for study, work and leisure in a range of authentic contexts and for a variety of audiences and purposes
- develop multiliteracy skills through the use of a range of learning tools, such as multimedia, in the various modes of communication
- develop an appreciation of a variety of literary and non-literary texts and to develop critical and creative techniques for comprehension and construction of meaning
- recognize and use language as a vehicle of thought, reflection, self-expression and learning in other subjects, and as a tool for enhancing literacy
- understand the nature of language and the process of language learning, which comprises the integration of linguistic, cultural and social components
- gain insight into the cultural characteristics of the communities where the language is spoken
- gain an awareness and understanding of the perspectives of people from own and other cultures, leading to involvement and action in own and other communities
- develop curiosity, inquiry and a lifelong interest in, and enjoyment of, language learning
Click on the links for information about curriculum and assessment for MYP Language acquisition: EAL by grade level.